Friday 6 March 2009

Breakfast Time..

We recently ran a post about where you can get a full english breakfast and this made me wonder how many people still regularly eat this nightmare of the health police? .When I was young I had a brekfast that consisted of fried egg, fried potato, bacon and sometimes sausage and it was only later in life that I turned to healthier eating to start my day. I cannot imagine, given the busy lives that those in work now have that the fried breakfast is much more then a weekend treat for most and I suppose that the rise of the Meusli munchers has also had a drastic effect on peoples morning diet but what do our readers eat ?. There are some, I know, who opt for a cup of coffee and a slice of toast or a bowl of cornflakes. Then there are those who hereoically plough through two Shredded Wheat. I must admit that I ring the changes a bit and aftedr a long period on Fruit and Fibre am now on peanut butter covered toast.

O restrict my sampling of the full english breakfast to when I am on holiday...

In Scotland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to be one of the judges in the TSB “Rock School” competition (SW Region).
There was no fee, but as a “thank-you”, TSB used to put me up in top hotels and take me (first class) to the National Final. I was staying in one particularly fine hotel when I discovered that their breakfast was divided into three categories: “Healthy”, “Full English” and “Victorian”. Working on the dual premise that you only pass this way once & I will try anything once, I opted for the “Victorian”, and sampled: porridge with cream and golden syrup, kippers, kedgeree, bacon, eggs, kidneys, and, would you believe, corned beef hash with saute potatoes, plus toast and marmalade !!!

By contrast, on another occasion, I overslept and was woken by a phone call from the waiting limo outside. Breakfast consisted of two slices of toast, with two little packets of butter, which I grabbed from the dining room as I galloped out !!