Friday 13 March 2009

Sad Anniversary.

I had forgotten until I was looking at the BBC website earlier, that today is the thirteenth anniversary of the Dunblane Massacre when Thomas Hamilton gunned down 16 pupils and teachers at Dunblane primary school in Scotland before turning the gun on himself. I remember hearing the news of this on the radio whilst at work on my estate in Prestwick and experiencing a feeling of total disbelief.

While I know that many in the shooting community find the gun laws over intrusive, at least we in this country have experienced nothing like Dunblane since the availability of firearms was curtailed. Events this week in Germany and Alabama remind us that in other parts of the world it is only still too easy for those with disordered personalities to get their hands on firearms in order to fufil their most violent fantasies.

No comments: