Monday 16 March 2009

Lights Out.

I notice from the local papers that there seems to be increasing support for turning off street lighting for part of the hours of darkness. I dont know if the parish council has discussed this issue yet but those of us with long memories will remember that total darkness after midnight was the norm as late as the 1970s. Times are now different and I am in two minds as to whether this would be a good move or not. Obviously there is the issue of energy saving and less light pollution on one side of the coin, but on the other you have more crime and the fact that with the changes to the liscensing laws in recent years, there tend to be more people about later, especially at weekends.There are certainly people who I know who would be extremely hazardous to themselves and others after one too many shandy's with the street lights off. Perhaps it would be safer if total darkness was avoided on friday and saturday nights.

Something for our decision makers to think about
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Broken Toes and Rape

In the very early 80s our Supreme Leader, TINA, felt moved to save our planet (and, possibly, take our minds off the forthcoming Falklands War) by forcing blackout conditions on an unprepared England. She was going to save money and simultaneously go “Carbon Neutral” even before that term had been invented !! She unilaterally decreed that Exeter University’s campus lighting be turned off at midnight !

I was playing a gig in the Great Hall at Exeter University when I was struck down by her zeal - not to mention several female students who were RAPED !! Leaving aside the unfortunate rapees, I will talk about my injuries !! I was wheeling a trolley piled high with amplifiers towards our truck, when all the lights went out !! In Stygian blackness I groped my way to the truck, and attempted to pass an amp to the guy who was loading. Unfortunately, another amp toppled off the pile and landed on my foot, breaking several toes !!

When I complained to the authorities, I was told that it was all MY FAULT as I hadn’t been wearing steel-toe-capped boots !! Such is life. Politicians decree, and if it all goes pear-shaped it’s our fault, not theirs - it’s never their fault !! NEVER EVER !!

The only people who will want street lighting turned off are “greenies” and the criminal classes, who will be able to rob and rape with less chance of being caught !!