Monday 12 January 2009

Sitcoms

We were having a discussion last night about the sitcoms of our youth. Some expressed a certain nostolgia for politically dodgy productions like 'Love Thy Neighbour'. I suspect that a viewing of some of the sitcoms of our youth now would probably be embarrasing in the extreme although I do have a certain nostolgia for 'On The Buses'.

Were the TV sitcoms of our youth, or indeed TV in general better then what we get now ?. I suspect that we all view our TV pasts with somewgat rose tinted glasses often accompanied by a yearning for a simpler age. That being said, I dont think that many would argue that the vast increase in the amount of channels available yo viewers has led to an increase in standards. Given the amount of repeats on offer it would seem yjat perhaps even the TV companies admit that the TV of the pre digital era still has something to offer.

Or, is it just that repeats are cheaper to run then making new programmes.

However, if you have a favourite TV sitcom, or indeed any other TV programme you would like to tell us about feel free to post a comment.

1 comment:

silverton siren said...

One of my favourite sitcoms - and very underrated I feel - was "I Didn't Know You Cared" by the late great Peter Tinniswood. This show was a gem with a great cast: Liz Smith, Robin Bailey and Stephen Rea to name only 3. It were reet gradely lad!