Thursday 29 January 2009

Buggies.

Watching the horde of disability scooters that run around the village, it occurs to me that one thing that is missing from these vehicles, as with modern bicycles, is something that warns of their approach. Perhaps they should be equipped with bells or horns as they can sometimes come upon you unawares. Unplanned contact with these vehicles could render you in need of the use of one. I had a close encouter with one of these buggies once whilst living in Prestwick, which was being driven by an elderly lady who seemed to be in training for Formula One. Useful as this means of transport undoubtedly is in aiding the mobility of the disabled, some of those who drive them would not seem to be as aware of what they are driving as maybe they ought to be.

Then of course, there is the well known village character who carries his dog on his buggy. The sight of a dog on a buggy drives my dog, who does not like wheeled vehicles of any kind much, into a total rage. He still looks at the wheeled rottwieler with a good deal of suspicion

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I entirely agree with Tobireg on this matter, particularly in respect of bicycles. I have just looked up The Highway Code on the web, and was horrified to find the following:

be considerate of other road users, particularly blind and partially sighted pedestrians. Let them know you are there when necessary, for example, by ringing your bell if you have one. It is recommended that a bell be fitted.

Which lunatic changed the law ? When I was cycling you HAD to have a bell (or horn) fitted to your bike, and the Police would be not best pleased if you did not !

The Highway Code is soft on buggy users also:

You MUST follow the same rules about using lights, indicators and horns as for other road vehicles, if your vehicle is fitted with them.

“if your vehicle is fitted with them.” What a sad state our country has got into. I suppose the bell/horn-less amongst us would have their Human Rights breached if they were compelled to to take the safety of others into consideration !

Anonymous said...

After my earlier discoveries, I have just re-visited my “Publication of the Week” - The Highway Code - and discovered another interesting fact.

Under “Rules for Cyclists”, I found the following:

64
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129]

As Sir Jimmy would say, “Ows about that then ?”

I really must try to get out more !!

babyblox said...

It's also an offence for cyclists to fail to stop at red lights and pedestrian crossings, a law which is totally ignored by the lycra commuters. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen bicycle couriers in London ignore red lights and plough into pedestrians. Somehow, it always seemed to be the pedestrian's fault if the volume of subsequent swearing was anything to judge by.

Anonymous said...

1. With David Cameron and Boris Johnson to look up to as cycling role models, it is difficult to see how ordinary cyclists can be expected to be law-abiding - besides, it is a well known fact that all cyclists commune with the Almighty on a daily basis, so why should they be expected to obey any rules.

2. “Arm signals to other road users”: have you noticed that cyclists have their own special set of arm signals (which are not shown in The Highway Code). There are two main ones which they use in almost any situation. Firstly a (reversed) Nazi salute with the middle finger extended, and secondly the same gesture, but with two fingers extended to indicate their victory over (and contempt for) all other road users.

Anonymous said...

Whilst on my way into Exeter this morning I passed a very expensive electronic signboard which exhorted me to keep an eye out for cyclists who might accidently venture into my blind spots. Fair enough!!

Driving up North Street (a one-way street) I encountered a cyclist coming down the street towards me on the wrong side of the road!! When I politely drew his attention to this, I received the single finger cyclists’ salute accompanied by an invitation to go forth and multiply. Not fair enough!!

Why do we have to put up with these testosterone-fuelled cretinous yobs?