Sunday 18 January 2009

Protest

Watching the demonstration in support of the people of gaza passing through the streets of Exeter yesterday lunchtime (I would estimate about 300-450 in attendance). I heard a chant coming from part of the crowd that I have not heard before. It went.



George Bush where are you ?.

I want to hit you with my shoe.



inevitably, someone was carrying a placard saying 'We are all Palestinians'. Sorry to disabuse you folks, but Palestinians you aint. Mainly, you are middle class English persons who will never have to live in squalid refugee camps and face the possiblity of being blasted into eternity because your next door neighbour happens to be someone on an Isreali hit list. You can go out for a meal and a drink after the demo. For the people of Gaza, thats not on the agenda.



And the same applies to those who demonstrate in support of Israel. Whilst you might support the cause, you are not likely to have a long range rocket drop into your bathroom.

Support the causes if you will but lets keep a sense of proportion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am always wary of mass demonstrations. They seemed to be organised for the benefit of the lawless in our society, regardless of what “cause” they are supporting. They give thugs and hooligans the chance to fight the police, break shop windows, and if really lucky, set fire to a few cars !

Anonymous said...

Edinburgh last week had "get your shoes out for George Bush".

Tobireg said...

I didnt see any signs of lawlessness or thuggery in Exeter on saturday. As a veteran of many mass demonstrations over the past 40 years I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I have seen any signs of disorder, and I have been on some very big ones indeed, notably the big anti poll tax demos in Scotland and the anti war demo in Glasgow that attracted over 100, 000.

Protest that does not lead to disorder of course, does not get front page headlines in papers like 'The Scum' or ' The Daily Wail'

As for GWB. I wonder what slogans will be thought up for Barak Obama when the gloss wears off his presidency, as it inevitably will . I suspect Obama is going to be a more difficult name to work with then Bush when it comes to sloganeering.