Saturday 10 January 2009

Off Their Trollies.

One thing we are lucky about in the village is that we do not suffer from the curse of the stray supermarket trolley. When I lived and worked on the Arran Park estate in Prestwick, supermarket trolley's were the curse of my life. The local branch of the now deceased Safeways was at the end of the street and unlike many of their competitors, Safeways, at that time did not charge a deposit for thye use of their trolley's. Needless to say, the locals took full advantage of this, especially at weekends , bringing endless convoys of shopping down the road and leaving the trolley's wherever they wished. It was then my sorry task to round up said trolley's on a monday morning and contact Safeways to get them to send a lowley member of their staff to the collection point to remove the offending vehicles.

Needless to say, stray trolley's got used for much else beyond carrying shopping. The local children used them as a form of transport and I have even seen people moving house with their aid. I must admit that I was not averse to using them myself as a form of transport when the need arose.

Thankfully no pictures exist of the blogger pushing a trolley loaded with old carpets.

No comments: