Monday 19 January 2009

Food For Thought.

We had Pizza last night as part of the post quiz refreshments and it brought to my mind the fact that food like pizza was unknown to most of us over 40 when we were children. I dont ever remember eating pizza before the mid eighties, about the same time I first encountered chinese food. Indian food was slightly different as my granny made curry when I was young, having been taught how to do so by a former employer who had been an army officer in India under the raj. We also had garlic bread last night something I dont recall ever eating until sometime within the past ten years.

While as children we avoided Burgers and the like, it has to be said that much of our diet was fairly limited in nature, if always plentiful. Whereas the moderen child might have pizza or burgers after school, we had to make do with an assortment of sandwiches, tomato being my favorite for many years.

While its true that much of what is eaten today is not particularly healthy and contributes to obesity, I doubt if many of us would want to return to a world completely devoid of pizza, garlic bread or the occasional chicken kung po or lamb balti. Perhaps veggiburgers could go though, as I suspect that most of them are even offensive to vegetarians.

3 comments:

babyblox said...

My introduction to funny foreign cooking was when mum brought home a packet of Vesta Chow Mein in the mid 60s. Boy did we think we were exotic! It tasted like s**t, but as we had no idea how Chow Mein was supposed to taste we convinced ourselves it was wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I too can remember Vesta Chow Mein in the early/mid 60’s. When I was in Oz two years ago, I was amazed to find it still on the shelves in small town supermarkets.

Tobireg said...

Probably the chow mein packets dated from the 60s