Wednesday 21 January 2009

Chores

Unless you are one of that fast diminishing band of unreconstructed male chauvinists, all of us, male and female alike, have to take a hand with the domestic chores and the question arises, which ones do you really dislike ?. I was never keen on toilet cleaning and Mrs Frost informs me that changing the duvet cover is high on her list of dislikes. So what are the pet hates of our readers ?. Perhaps its the hoovering, dusting or window cleaning, one of my pet hates. Perhaps you cant cook, won't cook, or, hate rubbing down the dog when its wet. Maybe doing the washing or, hanging out the washing causes you grief.

Feel free to tell us your pet hate on the domestic front.

3 comments:

silverton siren said...

Re Duvets: I would personally like to strangle the sadist who invented the duvet (necessitating a cover!) It takes much longer to make the bed than it did with sheets and blankets and the darn thing always ends up on the floor on one side! Along with cleaning the oven, it's my pet hate in the chores department.

Anonymous said...

When I “retired” my wife continued to work for another three years, and in that time I discovered my hatred of dusting. I would describe myself as a partially reconstructed male, able to cook, hoover, wash clothes and dishes, and to make beds. I have even been known to iron (badly). But dusting ......... disgusting !!

I did do it, of course, under duress and as infrequently as I could get away with, but it was only recently that fellow sufferer told me how to avoid it for at least half the time. It really is quite simple, and I offer this solution to other hard pressed males:

About half an hour before the beloved is expected home, spray the rooms with a quick burst of furniture polish. This lulls the beloved into a sense that all is well with the world .......... and that it is dust free !!!

babyblox said...

Quentin Crisp famously said that he never dusted because after three months the dust doesn't get any worse. He also refused to wash-up, piling all the dishes in the sink and re-using them in turn. Until he reached what he called 'the fish barrier'. After eating fish he was obliged to wash the whole lot and start the cycle again. Perhaps 'er indoors will permit you to adopt this method.