Wednesday 28 January 2009

Short Trouser's

When I was young short trousers were a nightmare at this time of the year. I can still remember being in the old school canteen playground in the middle of winter with my knees turning blue with the cold and you knew that if you fellm over on the ice you were bound to end up with cut knees. I expect that many of us, of a certain age, remember our mothers saying about one of our classmates 'He's too young to be wearing long trousers yet', whilst we tried to work out exactly how o;d you had to be to escape the torture of shorts. Of course, if you joined the Boy Scouts you then had to endure another few years wearing that dreaded form of apparel.

My youthful encounter with shorts gave me an aversion to them that has lasted a life time. I am not one of those chaps in late middle age, who you will encounter striding across hill and dale bearing their knees to the elements, beer bellies flopping over their belts. You can be at one with nature without freezing your extremities off. I seem to remember that Hitler and his mates had a passion for shorts.

Perhaps the health police could issue warnings on the dangers of short trousers, it might be a more useful excersise then some of what they do.

No comments: