Saturday 21 February 2009

Old Skool Night.

I hear that there are possible plans afoot to have an Old Skool Night at one of our hostelries, starting off with a recreation of school dinners and ending with the sort of old skool disco which seems to be quite popular these days.

Why anyone would want to subject themselves to a meal which would probably consist of soggy chips, mushy peas and almost inedible toad in the hole followed by nearly cold rice pudding with a dollop of watery looking strawberry jam is beyond me. My most vivid memory of a school dinner was of having to report to the canteen staff that a large, and voracious looking caterpillar was sharing my lettuce. That experience put me off lettuce for a very long time, as well it might. From memory, School dinners also often consisted of a meal involving the eatingb of baked beans to which I have a life long and deep rooted aversion.

The Old Skool Disco might well be more fun thougfh if we have to dress in some approximation of school uniform. I think we can all imagine what some in the village might look like if they are forced, thirty or more years after necessary, to squeeze into shorts and gymslips, blouses and old school ties. Should such an event come about, you can nbe sure that the blog camera will be on hand to record the event for posterity and that no blushes will be spared.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was at skool, discos hadn’t been invented. Thank God !

Anonymous said...

If you want to relive your school dinner memories, it’s quite easy. Just pop along to any pub/restaurant doing a carvery !! The Fisherman’s Cott is particularly good ! Step inside the door, and the smell of over-done vegetables and over-cooked meat will whisk you straight back to school.

babyblox said...

What's a skool disco? Sadly I was born too early. Where I grew up all the schools were single sex in those days and I didn't fancy dancing with any of the First XV. I agree about the Fisherman's Cot though. Any other nominations for worst pub food in Devon or does the Cot have no peers for awful grub?

silverton siren said...

I'm quite happy to join in - I just need a few sherbets and I'll be happy!