Saturday 15 November 2008

The Smoking Fraternity.

I finally gave up smoking in 1997. I had 6 years off the weed in the 80s but got drawn back into it whilst involved with Ayr College Students Association and it took me ten years to quit again. What we ex smokers tend to forget is the sense of fraternity that develops amongst the devotees of the weed. I suspect that this frarernity has been reinforced by the smoking ban in pubs. I was reminded of this last night whilst standing outside The Lamb with the smokers.It was a mild night and there were quite a number of people out there and you realise that you get talking to people that you probably never wouyld otherwise. Its one of those odd contradictions of life that a habit which is so destructive to your health probably improves the social life of many of those it destroys. Perhaps if the governmentr is really serious about stamping out smoking they should ban smokers gathering in groups of more then two.

No comments: