Thursday 20 November 2008

Jukebox Jive.

I wonder if anyone else has a nostolgia for the old style pub jukeboxes. I remember when one of these used to grace the back room of the New Inn sitting against the wall in all its brightlylit splendour. For the insertion of a coin you could watch the 45's going around before the machine settled on the tune of your choice. In later years I took to collecting as many of the singles of the mid, late seventies that were my favourites at the time through record fairs. Its a sign of the changing times that I later converted most of them to MP3 format and they now reside on my computer.

In the intervening years since the 70's, we have had changing formats, first CD and now increasingly MP3, but to my mind the sound of a 45 played on an old style jukebox had a warmer and somehow more friendly sound then the then much of the unatuarally clinical sound that we hear today. As with much modern technology, something has been lost in translation.

2 comments:

silverton siren said...

Nothing, but nothing, beats listening to your favourite band on vinyl -although I must admit that most of my LPs are looking very worn now. I have caved in and will admit to buying all the Beatles albums in CD format.

Tobireg said...

I had to do the same. Never sounds the same though.