Tuesday 26 May 2009

Mackeral Fishing.

I heard today of the first Mackeral catches of the new season. I dont know to what extent it is still the case but I remember when I was young that Mackeral fishing was a very popular pastime in the village and that your house would often be visited by friends who had breen in in Dawlish or one of the other south coast towns and had brought back enough Mackeral to supply half the village. I was never that keen on that particular fish myself due to the bones that always seemed to be left on the thing when it came to being served but for many Mackeral were, and probably still are a cheap and easy source of Protein.

I only ever went sea fishing once myself and although we caught a large number of fish I found it all a bit boring as the things were so plentiful at that time that they were practically jumping into the boat. I dont dout that it is a very enjoyable hobby for those who participate regularly especially when accompanied by a few cans of something cool. If the weather is as the forecasters predict over the summer perhaps Mackeral fishing will become an even more popular hobby.

1 comment:

babyblox said...

I only went mackeral fishing once off Sussex but my experience was the same as yours. When the boat skipper found a shoal of mackeral we cruised slowly around them trailing dozens of lines, each with dozens of hooks. We needed no bait, just bits of feather or silver paper and we caught hundreds, as fast as we could reel them in. I suppose they are not as plentiful now but in the 60s they were there for the taking.