Saturday 16 May 2009

Friends.

Someone recently told me about a plaque they had seen in a shop which read 'you will always be my friend because you know too much about me'. I dont know how many of use retain friends for that reason but I have no doubt that some friendships run on beyond their time precisely for those reasons. I suppose that the statement on the plaque counteracts another famous one about keeping your friends close but your enemies closer as obviously you wouldnt want youir enemies to have the sort of knowledge of you that your friends have.

Apparently scientists have now worked out that, whilst we individually know something like 150 people, we only really have three friends. Real friends, if they are that scarce should be cherished at all costs as they are the only relationships we choose in life for as they say 'you can choose your friends but not your familty'.

I think that as you get older you realise the fragility of human lives and relationships more and that real friendships become more important. Thats why I think that it is imprtant to always let your friends know the importance of the ro;e that they play in your life even if you might sometimes feel a little embarrassed about doing so. One of the saddest things in life is when relationships and friendships are suddenly terminated through illness or death with real feelings left unexplained.

No comments: