Saturday 9 August 2008

When was summer ?.

We are now heading on towards mid august and there still seems to be no sign of anything like a prolonged spell of what might be identified as real summer weather. The nights are drawing in again and I am beginning to notice the first hints of autumn when I take the dog to the top of Roach lane early in the morning. With the credit crunch and international crises of one sort or another looming large we might have least have expected that the gloom might have been lifted by a bit of prolonged sunshine. It appears however, that we shall be back into autumn before we know it, that colds and flu will start doing the rounds and we will be seeing the first appearence of christmas goods in the shops. And not long after that the photos on this blog will be of people celebrating new year in the square rather than street market.

Grim thoughts indeed.

4 comments:

silverton siren said...

I'm sure that the Christmas cards are in the shops somewhere already! I worked for sometime in the Oxfam shop in Tiverton and the Christmas cards used to arrive in a delivery in late August - we had to climb over them in the storeroom for a couple of months!

Tobireg said...

When I lived in Scotland, Christmas cards began to appear in the shops almost as soon as the kids went back to school in mid august. Given that the english school holidays finish a bit later I expect that the cards will be appearing at the start of september.

babyblox said...

I claim the points for the first Christmas tree of the year, complete with fairy lights and ribbons, in a restaurant in Brentwood, Essex last Saturday. They could, at least, have waited until September before launching their festive season.

Tobireg said...

Yes, its frightening. I am off to Scotland next week and Prestwick, where I am headed, has a Christmas shop that opens in the autumn every year.

I have this nasty feeling that it could be open by now selling overpriced talking Santas and the like.