Thursday 26 June 2008

Mobile Madness

I have just spent the best part of the last two days trying to set up my new mobile phone. Admittedly, I am not the most technically proficient person on earth but every time you buy a new mobile they seem to take more time to get activated. My first problem was getting the back off the thing to insert the battery and sim card. It took three of us to manage that operation. Then it wouldnt connect to the network to activate. Then this morning it would connect, recieved the appropriate text and phone number. However, when I tried to phone the number from the landline it kept getting put through to someone who said they were 'Stan's answering service'. After several attempts I took it to the Orange shop in Exeter where the helpful assistant said he had sorted out the problem. On returning home and testing it again the same problem arose until I managed to find the relevent entry on the phone for the phone number which I noticed contained one digit different to the one that I had been sent. Now success.

Then, of course, I had to get the phone topped up which entailed phoning a number somewhere in foriegn parts where the assistant appeared to be just through training. After much fiddling about he eventually managed to get me topped up and ready to roll. Having had my fill of such excietments for the day I decided to leave investigating the radio and MP3 functions until tom orrow .

Modern technology is a wonderful thing but there must be easier ways of doing a reletively simple job.

No comments: