Thursday 19 June 2008

Haunted Silverton

I suppose that Silverton like most other communities has its fair share of stories of houses and locations that are reputedly haunted. The ones that I know of are one of the houses on the left as you go up School road where footsteps are reported to have been heard on the stairs and a young girl is said to be present. The ghost of an elderly woman who was reported to have been seen crossing from a gateway in Windmill lane and some incidents that have occurred in the Lamb Inn including an unseen agency breathing on the neck of an unsuspecting customer who was using the gents toilets, A table being mysteriously rapped and glasses occasionaly flying off shelves.

I have had one or two experiences that could be put down to some supernatural activity myself. Back when I was a young teenager I was standing outside the gate of the old school at the bottom of School road with a friend one evening when we saw two figures, apparently dressed in monks garb cross from the churchyard to what is now the entrance to Wyndham road. What was interesting about that was that the figures were some way above the current road level. The other experience I had was when I was a boy I was in the church choir and one night whilst on my way to choir practice I heard a horse come along park road and turn into church road opposite the school. Despite looking I could see no horse which was strange as thgough it was dark there was a street light on the corner.

Although a sceptic about such things such stories add to the character of a village and remind us that we are all part of the continuity of the existence of the community that leaves footprints real and imagined that you can find just outside the eyeline of evereyday life. Silverton like all communities would be poorer without them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Silverton; perhaps ask some of the village Elders about events at Prispen House - it was a hot bed for mysterious activity when the Lady of the House was resident, most rumoured to be paranormal activity but way before modern scientific methods could even be imagined. The House was really better described as a Manor with huge beautiful grounds and a Tennis Court with a Lady of the house in the early 1900's who lived for a Century. Some house / Garden staff worked there for decades and are still living in the village now - some events seen have never been disclosed to more than a few colleagues and family in the last 60 years. The Manor was converted into flats in the last 15 years; I've no idea if it's changed but I'll bet that residents of properties now within the old Grounds may see mysterious events...please investigate and enlighten with modern scientific gadgetry... There is a story right under your nose

Unknown said...

I have only just come cross your post. My father Regi George Kerswell lived in Prispen house and my brothers still own some of the lands. I remember Cammie working so hard in the huge gardens. My three children loved to visit Mrs Nichols and their granddad and they had fun playing in the house and gardens, having a bonfire.

Feb 4th 2019