Wednesday 31 December 2008

New Years Eve.

Personally, new years eve is not my cup of tea. I spent too long in scotland where the tradition is that 'before the bells' is the time to think about times past and about those, who in the past year, have gone down that long, dark road that we must all , sooner or later, travel. Its also the time, I think, when those on their own feel most alone and it is, perhaps unsurprisingly, a time when the suicide rate rises.

All that being said, I suppose that when the bells ring out at midnight I shall be out and about with the rest, if not celebrating, observing.

All I will say, as they do over the border, is have a happy new year, when it comes.

1 comment:

silverton siren said...

I have to agree with you old chap! I find New Year's Eve rather a sad time - a lot of false bonhomie and too much drink taken. It also seems to me to be a time of regret rather than hope - I'm not surprised that suicide rates go up. I don't have a problem with resolutions - I have 2: lose weight and take more exercise! (the same ones every year......) But often I find that remembering times past is not a 'fun' experience.